Friday, March 1, 2013

The Starting Line-

I remember running track in middle school and high school.  I would walk up to the starting line and would get so nervous. Adrenaline would pump through my body, anxious for the gun to fire.  Then the gun would go off to indicate the start of the race and I would run the race that I was signed up for.

While running this race, I didnt look to the left or right. I looked straight ahead. I had my eye on the finish line.  However, in order to get to the finish line, I had to start the race. There was alot of preparation that went into the starting the race. I had to train before the race began, I had to put on the uniform, I had to literally walk up to the finish line.  Then I had to faithfully run the race to complete. 

I'll never forget being asked to run the 4x800 meter relay. I was a sprinter. I enjoyed a short race. I wanted to start and finish all in 20 seconds.  The 800 meter was 2 LAPS around the track or half a mile. I was not excited; however, in a longer race, I realized that it similar to a sprint, it just required endurance and patience. It was in this race that I learned a race is not ONLY about the finish line, but about how you run each leg of the race.  I found myself excited at the beginning of the 800.  Then as I'd see people ahead of me or pass me, I'd get discouraged.  However, in the end, I was running "my race" and I had completed.

Our adoption journey has been much like the sport of track.  Sometimes it's a sprint to get all of the paper work completed by a certain date; other times, it's a 800 meter run; and even sometimes a marathon.  However, our adoption process is unlike anyone elses. I have to remember to "run my race."  It's easy to look left and right and get discouraged with different parts; however, I am CHOOSING to focus on the race the Lord has called us to. 

Scripture talks many times about the life of a believer being like a race. (Hebrews 12:1-2) We must fix our eyes on Jesus.  My prayer is that we wont get so caught up in the finish line that we take our eyes off Jesus. 

The finish line is not the ONLY reward. It's the little milemarkers along the way.  And yesterday, February 28th, we received the first news of our Dossier being in Ethiopia and our names being on a wait list.  THIS IS OUR STARTING LINE.   We are officially on the wait list and we are so excited about this! 

Hopperton number is:
We are at the starting line - #102. We are reminded to enjoy every leg of this race.  Today we will celebrate #102 and we will pray for our little man in Ethiopia.  Please join us as we wait.

Just like any race, the sweetest part to me is the people in the stands (the supporters).  We cannot thank you all enough for your prayers, financial support and encouragement.  We have the best friends and cheerleaders around.

LOVE YOU ALL!
Derek and Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment